MuslimFest is an annual event held in Mississauga that recognizes and celebrates the Muslim arts, culture and entertainment industry here in Canada and abroad. Every year it draws upon talented professionals, entrepreneurs and artists and showcases their work to the broader community. These include projects across the artistic spectrum, from visual arts and film to live comedy and theater.
This year the organizers have taken proactive steps to ensure the event is as environmentally friendly as possible. These include measures such as:
- Partnering with Bullfrog Power to ensure the event uses 100% green energy
- Offsetting carbon emissions through purchasing credits from Zero Footprint
- Eliminating disposable plastic water bottles and replacing them with access to water filling stations
- Reducing the waste generated by marketing and print material through smaller print sizes and quantities
- Diverting waste products to the recycling stream where possible
A Green Exhibit was also was introduced at this year’s festival, to educate the community on conservation practices and introduce them to local environmental leaders.
For more information on the green initiatives at Muslimfest, please visit: http://www.muslimfest.com/
Photo Credit from Umar Nasir: http://iqra.ca/?p=5770